Google Search Console is a free tool from Google that helps you identify ways to optimize your photography website and keep an eye on things… make sure Google is seeing your site.
- Click Add a Property in the upper right hand corner.
- Type in your website URL, with the www, then click Add.
- At this point, you’ll need to verify ownership. Follow through with the recommended option of uploading the specified file to the root of your website. There are alternative methods in the other tab you’re welcome to use. I recommend going with the recommended. ?Side note: If you use WordPress, there is a plugin that gives you a front end facing access to your server files. https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-file-manager/
- Now, Google sees the www version and the non-www version of your website as two separate sites. Set up another property for the non-www version of your site.
You can use the same recommended version of verifying; it uses the same file so click Verify when asked.
- Which one do you like better? There is no benefit of choosing one over the other. It’s completely preference. Whichever one you like better, go in to site settings the gear icon in the upper right hand corner of the property.
- Choose your preferred domain and click Save.
Now you’re all set to take over the world!